Friday, February 10, 2012

Baked Apple Chips

Last week, I went on our Student Senate retreat. I was a driver, and people switched cars on our drive down to Portland so that everyone had a chance to bond with everyone. Every now and then a documentary called Forks over Knives would pop up in conversation. I didn't know a lot about it, but various senators raved about it, so I figured I should check it out.

The basic premise: Forks over Knives advocates for a whole foods, plant based diet. Not from an ethical/moral/animal welfare perspective, but from a health perspective. They showed evidence that the protein you get from ingesting animal meats (chicken, beef, fish), can actually do more damage than good. BUT...I'll let you watch it for yourself :-) It's on Netflix if you have it.

I like the film because it catered more to my health needs versus forcing me to watch films of sickly cows and chickens being slaughtered or poked with forklifts. I grew up in a farming community though...so maybe I'm biased. I have no problem with the consumption of animals, but I am concerned about my health.

Over the next few weeks, I'll try to make the transition to being vegetarian-ish...and then vegan-ish. I got rid of all my eggs and some beef in the freezer today (and by that I mean I made egg salad sandwiches and beef stew).  I don't want to give up some foods entirely, but I'll make an effort to try this veggie/vegan thing out. I'll need to be able to bake good food. I'll need to have a cheat day now and again. But I'll try.

Anyways...recipe time! I've been looking for some healthy snacks to have on hand so that I don't come home and eat all my chocolate chips. Which mayyyyybe I've done on occasion. Maybe. So, I decided to make myself some apple chips!



I'm pretty sure you can use whatever apple you like. I'm a big fan of Pink Lady apples, so I used those.

Baked Apple Chips

Ingredients
3 apples of your choice
Cinnamon
Baking sheets and wax paper

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2)Slice the apples super thin. Mine were 1/6th of an inch, but I used one of those mandolin slicers. If you're using a knife, cut them as thin as you can without cutting yourself.
Don't worry about taking out the core.

3) Cover the baking sheet with wax paper, then places the apples on the baking sheet. Do not overlap apples! Sprinkle apples with cinnamon.
4) Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then flip and bake for another 30 minutes. They will shrink and crinkle up, and will get crispy once they've sat out for a bit.


It may take a few rounds to get all the apples cooked. Be prepared for your oven to be on for a good 2 hours. I don't actually have to pay for utilities in student housing...so I don't care :)

Like Pringles...
once you pop, the fun don't stop!


-Stephanie

1 comment: